At Next Step Foot & Ankle Clinic, the first line of treatment is typically conservative, non-invasive treatments. However, if your foot pain doesn't respond to these methods, or if you have a foot deformity that limits your activity or bothers you on a regular basis, you may be a candidate for foot, ankle, nerve or heel surgery. Dr. Silvester is dedicated to using minimally invasive procedures as often as possible to get you back to normal activities as quickly as possible.
We may use surgery to treat the following conditions:
Currently, Dr. Silvester is able to perform surgeries at the following hospitals:
- Connally Memorial Medical Center, Floresville, TX
- Northeast Methodist Hospital, Live Oak, TX
- Olympia Surgery Center, Universal City, TX
- South Texas Regional Medical Center, Jourdanton, TX
When you decide to proceed with foot surgery with Next Step Foot & Ankle Clinic, you will be given a Surgery folder. This packet of information will help you through the process of having surgery with us. PLEASE DO NOT MISPLACE THIS FOLDER --you will need the information in it. Most questions you have can be answered by referring to the information in your Surgery Folder. After signing consent forms with Dr. Silvester, the following will take place:
- Benefits Verification: If you have insurance, our Surgery Coordinator will receive your consent forms, complete with CPT (Procedure) Codes that she will need to give your insurance company to verify your surgical benefits. We are not able to get insurance benefits until we have signed consent forms. This process takes time, and may take up to a week for Commercial insurance carriers. If you are a Veteran with coverage through the Veteran's Choice Program, please be advised that this process may take much longer. Contact your Patient Care Manager at the VA if you are concerned with the amount of time it is taking to get their authorization.
- Benefits Phone Call: Once benefits are determined, our Surgery Coordinator will contact you to go over:
- Insurance Benefits
- Cost to Patient
- Location of Surgery
- Pre-Op Testing: Once you know what location your surgery will take place at, you can work on getting your pre-op testing done. Test results are only good for 30 days prior to your surgery date, and we need the results at least 2 days prior to surgery. You do not need to fast before having bloodwork done. Also, please make any arrangements for any equipment you will need after surgery such as crutches, CAM Walkers, rolling knee walkers. Many of these items can be picked up at Next Step Foot & Ankle Clinic.
- Pre-Admissions Call: You will receive a pre-admissions phone call from the nursing staff of the facility where your surgery will be performed. Dr. Silvester's office has no control over when this call will take place, but please be assured that you will receive a phone call going over the following: when to stop eating and drinking, what to do about medications, where to go, what time to arrive, and discharge information.