There's a particular condition on the ball of the foot that afflicts women mostly over 40 years old. The pain comes from the area just next to the big toe joint. The complaint is often of feeling like "walking on a ball." It hurts more without shoes on.
This type of pain can happen in conjunction with the 2nd toe starting to separate from the 3rd toe. If left undiscovered and untreated, a tear can occur requiring surgery as the only option. We've had many patients need surgery for this condition because they simply waited too long to see a specialist.
WHAT YOU CAN DO @ HOME
- Wear shoes or sandals with a cushioned sole
- Don't go barefoot
- Avoid exercises that put pressure on this area
- Use ice and an over-the-counter anti-inflammatory
- Don't waste money on over-the-counter pads or inserts
WHAT WE CAN DO @ NEXT STEP FOOT & ANKLE CLINIC
- Comprehensive Foot Exam to determine the exact location of the pain
- X-Ray to determine if a bone or joint problem exists
- Recommend the easiest and fastest solution
- Educate you on long-term prevention
- Order an MRI if a tear is suspected
- Use Ultrasound Technology to see condition of nerve and joints.
Schedule your appointment with Next Step Foot & Ankle Clinic today!
Get Help Nor for Your Pain! Call: 210.375.3318