We've seen many patients who have been told there's nothing that can be done about neuropathy symptoms. Don't give up hope! You CAN find relief, and help!
What is Neuropathy?
Neuropathy is a disease that most commonly affects the nerves of the foot and can cause numbness, pain, burning, loss of balance, and toe deformities. Neuropathy is the major contributing cause of ulcers and limb loss. Diabetic Neuropathy is nerve damage caused by diabetes. People who have diabetes often have high blood sugar levels. Over time, high blood sugar levels can damage nerves throughout your body.
How is it diagnosed?
We offer a comprehensive neuropathy exam complete with patient history, thorough neurological exam & diagnostic testing. Our nursing staff performs a series of non-invasive, painless tests. The latest in neuropathy testing is called a SudoScan Evaluation. The test is painless, takes about three minutes, and gives an accurate evaluation of the severity of nerve damage associated with neuropathy and other nerve conditions.
- Watch A SudoScan Evaluation Video
- SudoScan Patient Education Sheet
- SudoScan FAQs
- SudoScan in the News
A Diagnostic Ultrasound Evaluation may also be performed. The test is designed to asses the size of your nerves. Patients with neuropathy often have enlarged nerves.
What are possible treatment options?
We use the latest technology for treating neuropathy. Frequently, a combination of treatments are used to achieve success. Below are the options at the Next Step Foot & Ankle Clinic.
Electric Cell Signaling Therapy (EST) is a highly advanced treatment for Neuropathy. This treatment combines EST and ESI energy waves, and therapeutic local block injections. This therapy is giving many of our patients a great amount of relief from their Neuropathy symptoms, including numbness and pain. Electric Cell Signaling Treatment is covered by Medicare and most commercial insurances. The therapy is subject to your insurance plan's copay, coninsurance and deductible.
We are proud to be on the medical technological forefront by offering MLS Laser Therapy as a treatment for Neuropathy. This treatment uses wavelengths of light to treat painful and debilitating conditions. This treatment is given to our patients to help manage the pain from Neuropathy. MLS Laser Therapy helps Neuropathy by releasing endorphins that reduce pain, reduces swelling, increases blood flow and stimulates repair and regrowth of nerve tissue.
Help your body heal itself, by giving your body the correct nutritional support.
Watch a Patient Video Testimonial: Tingling and Numbness in Your Feet Making it Difficult to Sleep
In 2005, Dr. Darren Silvester trained at the Institute for Peripheral Nerve Surgery in an innovative surgical treatment for this potentially devastating disease. In a properly selected patient, feeling can be restored and the pain and burning resolved in approximately 85% of cases. Studies have shown that patients who have had this procedure have a significant reduction in pain, numbness, and incidence of ulcerations and amputations.
What are possible complications from Neuropathy?
Numbness from Neuropathy can also cause foot ulcers. The most common ulcer I see is on that is under a callus. If you have Neuropathy, you don't feel the callus build up and then the skin breaks down underneath. The callus keeps it covered and the patient does not even know they have a hole in their foot. Ulcers are treatable and even preventable once nerve function and feeling is restored.
Risk of Falling due to Balance Issues
A Risk Assessment for Falls may be performed during your exam as this is the single most powerful tool we have in fall prevention. Patients with neuropathy are known to, over time, develop balance impairments, loss of sensation in their extremities and often decreased lower leg strength, all of which increases their risk for falls and fall-related injuries. A Balance Assistance Device is a great way to increase stability.
Free Nerve Pain Podcast
If you’ve ever experienced burning, tingling, and numbness in your feet and wondered why, you’ll appreciate Dr. Silvester’s FREE seminar, “Nerve Pain.” This 30 minute call topic addresses Neuropathy, the kinds of issues and problems that people have relative to the issues that are caused by nerve damage in their feet and their lower extremities. It’s an excellent resource, and you can download it for free. Listen Now!
Blog Articles Related to Neuropathy
- Can Nerve Surgery Help Patients with Neuropathy?
- So You Have Neuropathy :(
- Checking for Neuropathy Pain at Home
- The Five-Step Lower Extremity Amputation Prevention Program
- What's Behind Your Tingling Toes?
- Nerve Decompressions Surgery - Put the Feeling Back in Your Feet
- Is Neuropathy Preventable?
- What Causes Neuropathy?
- What About Surgery for my Neuropathy?
- Why do my feet feel like they are burning?
- Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association: Surgical Treatment of Peripheral Neuropathy
- Annals of Plastic Surgery: Changing the Natural History of Diabetic Neuropathy: Incidence of Ulcer / Amputation in the Contralateral Limb of Patients With a Unilateral Nerve Decompression Procedure
- I have had about 85% improvement in my burning and tingling and numbness.
- I feel like I have a new lease on life. I feel like I can go dancing.
- After the surgery my foot was much more sensitive.
- All the discomfort of burning and tingling I had before the surgery is all gone.
- Your knowledge of neuropathy and personal manner of delivery is commendable.
- This is my 8th session of Neurogenx Therapy, and my feet feel much better.
- Nerve Decompression Surgery Reversed Diabetic Neuropathy
- Yes, I am one happy camper
- It's worth a look into alternative options
- Tingling and Numbess in Your Feet Making it Difficult to Sleep
- How Dietary Supplements Can Help with Neuropathy
- Quell Wearable Pain Relief Technology for Neuropathy
Dr. Silvester has been practicing podiatry for more than 25 years. He is a Fellow of the American College of Foot & Ankle Surgeons, and Diplomat of the American Board of Podiatric Surgery, Member of Extremity Nerve Surgeons. To schedule your comprehensive Neuropathy Exam with Dr. Silvester, please call 855-972-9512.